Random Thoughts and Mixed Emotions

The Pirates are a bit more than just a baseball team to Pittsburgh baseball fans. Let's temper that by saying that there are a limited amount of true fans of baseball in this city; you'll have that after going 19 years without having a competitive team. Last summer was something special when the Pirates were flirting with contention, and it hurt big time to watch them fall out of contention so quickly. The Bucs are back at it again in 2012, but this time things feel a bit different.

I'm pretty sure that the main reason things feel different is because this wasn't entirely unexpected as it was last year. When a team puts you through what the Pirates put us through in 2011, you're naturally slow to jump on them so quickly again the next time they flirt with winning. Obviously everybody is unbelievably supportive of this franchise and there are a lot of people out there that would give up a lot to see a winning season or beyond, but don't blame people if they don't have a lot of faith right now. You would be foolish to be running around guaranteeing a playoff berth, or even a winning season right now. The Pirates still aren't the most talented team in the league and on paper they don't look like a competitor. However, there are feelings around the team that they can compete. The division is weak, and they just keep finding different ways to win. It feels like they can do something this year - but when has a feeling ever taken us anywhere?

It's extremely exciting to watch this team win, just because it's such a rare sight. My question is, how long will they have to be in contention for everyone to really buy in to them? It should probably take a good while to be fair. They got us excited last year and let us down - that in and of itself should slow us down a bit.

This isn't really a post that's going anywhere, I'm kind of just sitting here typing - confused. I guess in a way I'm not really the pure untamed fan I once was since I'm technically a member of the media now. It all started as a fan and I certainly love doing what I've been doing this summer - but this whole thing feels different for me. I don't know, it's weird and I haven't put my finger on it yet. I'll let you know if I figure out what I'm trying to talk about right now, it's just funny how big of an impact a sports team can have on your life. At the end of the day, none of this stuff really matters, but I just feel like the Pirates are in a place to have a season that has bigger implications and effects than any normal sports team season could have. Know what I'm saying? Nah, me neither.

Bucs and Royals this weekend. Get there.