Just Calm Down Part 694

This isn't the first time I've done this, sadly.

A first place Pittsburgh Pirates team traveled to Baltimore to start a midweek series on Monday. They had just come off their fourth straight win and were tied atop the division with the Cincinnati Reds.

That Pirate team was swept easily (pending a miraculous comeback here) by the Baltimore Orioles, a team with a good record but some definite holes. Everyone was expecting the Pirates to do better than that. Guess what, sports don't go by what you expect.

So stop freaking out over three games. Maybe you're new to liking baseball, and if you are I welcome you and hope not to offend you. Or maybe you're just one of those very rash people that get angry very quickly and have been a fan of the team for awhile, and are really fed up with this team losing. Those are the main two groups I'm type-screaming at here.

Three games in baseball means about as much as what your kid learns in 6th grade history class. You know what I learned in 6th grade history class? Nothing. I was too preoccupied making sure I didn't break my glasses and trying to get Rachel S to fall in love with me.

Sure, the Pirates got absolutely destroyed in this series. That happens to everyone. According to Tom Singer, every single team in the league has lost three games in a row at some point. Your Bucs have done it just twice - and people are losing their minds about it.

I'll agree that the Pirates roster doesn't exactly look on paper like it will compete all year, and a pitching breakdown could mean the demise of the team, but my mindset won't change until it lasts more than a week. If you see McDonald, Burnett, and Bedard go out there and get lit up four of five times, then yeah - be worried. Don't be worried when your 4-5 starters and Bedard get hit around, that's infantile.

I'm not here to tell you that the Pirates are going to be just fine and they'll start winning again once they get out of Baltimore, because I don't know they will. They could very well go on a big losing streak here and see their season of competing end. But it won't be because of a three game losing streak on the road. That's not how it works.

So settle down and enjoy it while your Buccos are still two games over .500 - you never know how long it will last.