Pirates Looking For Utility Infielder?

MLB Trade Rumors came out with this little number today... interesting.

I'm not reading too much into this. Sure, the Pirates middle-infield backups are pretty poor at this point. Yamaico Navarro, Gustavo Nunez, Anderson Hernandez, Chase d'Arnaud, and Josh Harrison are hardly big league level players. Navarro and d'Arnaud have upside and Harrison played decently well in his time with Pittsburgh last year, but I don't think the team is comfortable with those guys as their main back-ups. If Walker or Barmes were to go down, things would be ugly. The options that post mentions are Orlando Cabrera, Adam Everett, Craig Counsell, Ryan Theriot, Miguel Tejada, and Jack Wilson. The only guys I would take from there over what we already have are Cabrera, Theriot, and Tejada. The Pirates aren't going to pay Tejada what he wants, and that would be just a terrible it, so rule him out as well. I don't see the Pirates getting Cabrera or Theriot either, and like I said, the rest of them really wouldn't help this team.

I don't expect the Pirates to sign another middle infielder, I just see them crossing their fingers that Barmes and Walker stay healthy. I think d'Arnaud and Harrison are good enough options at this point for the Pirates, they really should be focusing their remaining efforts and money on another starting pitcher or a first baseman.