Pirates to Sign Ryota Igarashi

The Pirates have signed relief pitcher Ryota Igarashi
The Pirates have signed Ryota Igarashi, a 32-year old Japanese pitcher who has been with the New York Mets for the last two years.

Igarashi has not had much success at all in his first two years at the major league level with a 5.74 career ERA, 8.7 K/9, and 6.0 BB/9.

I'm really not sure why the Pirates made this move. It could be compensation for the loss of Jose Veras this week, but even without Veras the Pirates have a really solid bullpen with a bunch of arms that project better than Igarashi's. I wrote this piece about the Pirates bullpen just a few hours ago, so you can tell that I'm very confused with why the Pirates would make this move.

*edit
It looks they signed Igarashi to a minor league deal, which makes sense. Igarashi will get a spring training invitation. I guess this move doesn't hurt the team but I can't see it helping, so I don't get spending the money on him.

Photo courtesy of ESPN.com