Christmas Wish

I wish the Pirates could trade for Gio Gonzalez. If there was someway for that to happen, I think that would be a good enough Christmas present for me. The 26 year old is under team control for four years and is already one of the better pitchers in the game. Gonzalez posted a 3.12 ERA with 8.8 K/9 in 2011 and the Athletics are looking to trade him this offseason.

The price for Gonzalez is extremely high, as it should be. The Athletics have asked the Yankees for their long time top prospect in catcher Jesus Montero PLUS top pitching prospects. That means that the Pirates would probably have to give up Starling Marte AND one of Taillon or Cole. That's a ridiculous thing to consider, but I think that would be the only way it could happen considering the Pirates lack of elite prospects after those three.

I'm not advocating the Pirates go after Gonzalez because they can't afford the price to get him, but it's my blog and my Christmas... I do what I want.