I Like Ryan Doumit

I'm trying this new thing where I'm going to post a bunch of really short posts with short thoughts and comments. This one is about Ryan Doumit.

The Pirates are about to beat the Los Angeles Dodgers and Doumit ripped another double just a few minutes ago. It was well known going into and throughout this year that this was most likely Doumit's last year in a Pirates uniform. The team could not trade him this July because he was injured, and the option on his contract seems way to steep to even consider picking up given his track record with the Pirates.

That said, Doumit has hit .327/.370/.525 since returning from his injury (that's in 33 games) and he has probably been the Pirates best player overall. Getting that kind of production from your catcher is something that is of major value, and probably worth the money that they would have to pay Doumit to stick around.

So is Doumit performing better right now because he knows he is basically auditioning for a job with another team as the offseason approaches? Yeah, probably.

There is no reason to believe that something suddenly clicked for Doumit while he was on the shelf and now all of the sudden he is a more consistent hitter. If that is the case, that would be great, but it just looks like it is too late to even consider that possibility. The option on his contract is worth $7.25 million, which again, is too much to pay an inconsistent offensive catcher that cannot stay healthy and plays horrible defense.

If you would tell me that Doumit would have a .500 slugging percentage next year I would say give him the money, especially when you look at what the catching depth chart is going to look like next year. It's going to be ugly.

I have never been one to hate on Doumit, I have always overvalued what he brings to the table offensively, and I am going to be sad to see him go. I am also pretty confident that Pittsburgh will join me in my sadness when the Pirates do not sign a real catcher in the offseason and end up with Michael McKenry and Jason Jaramillo as the starters next year. Yikes.

The possibility remains that the Pirates could rework Doumit's deal and get him to stay, but I really don't think Doumit wants to be here enough to even consider that. This will be the last two weeks we see of Doumit in a Pirate uniform, and he looks prepared to go out with a bang.