Football Sabermetrics | Steelers and WPA

If you read my blog, you know that I am all about the advanced statistics in baseball. Since the Pirates season is over, I automatically started wondering about the advanced statistics in football. I stumbled across this fantastic website that gives you a ton of advanced stats for the NFL. Here's the Steelers offensive WPA (win probability added) leaders so far in 2011.

Mike Wallace: 0.59
Mewelde Moore: 0.31
Ben Roethlisberger: 0.25
Antonio Brown: 0.20
Heath Miller: 0.19
Hines Ward: 0.09
Jonathan Dwyer: 0.08
Isaac Redman: 0.05
David Johnson: 0.04
Arnaz Battle: 0.00
Jerricho Cotchery: -0.02
Emmanuel Sanders: -0.09
Weslye Saunders: -0.15
Rashard Mendenhall: -0.19

According to this stat, Mewelde Moore has been a much better player than Rashard Mendenhall this year. Obviously, Moore hasn't had nearly as much opportunity as Mendenhall, so these stats need to be interpreted carefully. I'm not very sure on what a lot of this stuff means yet, I'm still learning, but I'll be sure to keep you clued in.

Keep checking back, I have a feeling this is going to be a common topic this offseason.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the website?
Please send me the link. James.McCarthy.Usmc@gmail.com

Post a Comment