Opening Day tickets

Opening Day of baseball season has been of my favorite days of the year for quite some time. Now we're less than two weeks away from this year's Opening Day, and this one's a lot different than the rest.

I believe I've gone to five Pirates Opening Days in my life, and I don't believe I had ever paid more than $35 for a ticket. Until this year. I wasn't planning on going to the game this year, I was just going to go to work and miss the game. However, I fortunately (maybe) got the night shift that week (something I have to do on occasion for my job), so I was fully available from 1-6 on March 31st. How exciting, right?

I told my buddies this, and we set off to find tickets. Next thing I know I'm handing over more than $80 for a seat in section 316. You used to be able to start in right field for $80. Now you can't even see the field.

Making the playoffs and being competitive is great and all, but it's a real bummer when it comes to going to the games. Sure, Opening Day is probably the most in-demand game of the year, but I never imagined a day when I would have to pay $80 to see a Pirate game from the 300 levels.

You got on sites like StubHub and look for seats and the first 100 some results are Standing Room Only's for $50-$60. First of all, how many standing room tickets can they sell? And how early do you have to get in to the stadium to claim your spot to stand at for 6 hours just to see the game in the (probably cold) late March weather? Doesn't sound all that great.

All said and done, money isn't everything, and as always it'll feel real good to be back at PNC Park watching the Pirates play again, especially since we can legitimately have positive hopes for the team this year and not feel stupid about it. And at the end of the day, it could always be worse, I could be this guy.