Catching Up, Hanrahan, Milledge, Moss

Well are just over a week into spring training, and I haven't made a post in a couple days. Not much has been happening, as nothing big ever does at the end of February and the beginning of March, but there are a couple things worth nothing.
  • Joel Hanrahan's elbow injury was not as serious as some people thought, and he will begin throwing again in the next couple days. A lot of the inflammation in his right elbow has dissipated and there is a chance that he will be ready for Opening Day. That's big news for Pirate fans, I sure wasn't looking forward to seeing our bullpen without him.
  • The Post-Gazzette has a good article about Lastings Milledge up, posted today. Milledge is obviously pretty geared up for this season and has every desire to make it his best one so far. He is getting really serious about his career and has found a home in a Pirates uniform, next to his long time pal Andrew McCutchen.
  • A couple days ago, another article was posted by the Post-Gazzette about another Pirate outfielder, Brandon Moss. This one caused me to chuckle a little bit. Moss talked a lot about how awful he was last year. Some of his quotes were quite harsh, including him saying, "I'd rather be out of this game and not ever be able to play again than to play like I played last year. It's just not worth it". I guess it's good to hear Moss say that, he is obviously pretty upset with himself and feels that he has something to prove to Pittsburgh. Unfortunately for Moss, I think it might be too late. Unless there is an injury or a strong underperformance by Garrett Jones or Jeff Clement, I don't see Moss getting much playing time this year. He might not even make the team. One outfielder will have to be cut, and it certainly isn't going to be anyone but Moss or John Raynor. Personally I would like to see Raynor make the team, but my guess is that management will make sure Moss is on the 25-man roster when the club heads to Pittsburgh in April.

Anyways, I'll be back soon. Every day is one step closer to Opening Day, and I'm getting restless already.